A quick introduction
Currently the only email clients that support AMP emails are Gmail and Mail.ru, with Outlook, Yahoo and AOL having announced to join this list soon. In fact, Outlook.com rolled out a developer preview in September 2019. Tripolis is among the first esp’s in the world to enable its users to send emails with an AMP part.
AMP for Email support in Dialogue
Tripolis Dialogue now supports AMP for Email. In Direct Emails, a user can create and edit an AMP HTML version. This content version will be published as a third MIME part of the email, together with the regular HTML and Text versions.
A brief overview of the functionality:
- AMP for email can be enabled for specific Direct Email types.
- AMP HTML content can be created for a Direct Email of those types. Included are a function to copy the regular HTML as a starting point, or to insert the AMP boilerplate HTML.
- The AMP version can be previewed in Content and in the Publishing wizard.
- The AMP HTML can be tested using Quick Test and Sample Test.
- On publication the AMP version will be included as a third MIME part.
- Opens and clicks are tracked and visible in reporting. There is also a “clicks in HTML” view for the AMP version, as well as 2 new widgets on the Opens page that display the ratio of AMP opens.
- Creating and editing AMP HTML versions is supported in our SOAP and RESTful api’s.
- There is a separate AMP online viewer link. This link can also be used in a regular HTML version so that recipients can access the AMP version of the email in a browser.
Before you can start sending AMP emails there are a couple of hoops to jump through. Our support team will do their best to help you through each of them:
- Meet all Google’s registration guidelines as can be found here. We can help senders to setup SPF and DKIM signing and become DMARC compliant.
- Design a production-quality Direct Email in Dialogue that includes an AMP HTML version and make sure every part of the email is well tested and adheres to the guidelines. The AMP Playground is a good place to start.
- To test your AMP email you can whitelist your own From address and email@example.com on your own gmail account (in dynamic email settings) to receive test emails from your Dialogue workspace and from the playground. In the dynamic email settings for Outlook.com you can whitelist multiple From addresses.
- Publish the tested production-quality email to firstname.lastname@example.org: Google will use this email to check for compliance.
- Fill out the sender registration form and hope for a positive response.
The rest is up to you…
After all that, it’s up to the marketeer’s imagination and creativity to come up with ways to wield the power of AMP for email. The supported AMP components for layout and dynamic content open up a broad range of tools to inform and engage email recipients.
A short list of ways in which a recipient might interact with an AMP email:
- View articles in an accordion or carousel.
- RSVP to an event.
- Fill out a form.
- Solve a puzzle and win a prize.
- Browse a catalog or swipe through listings.
- Add items to a shopping basket.
- Update preferences and interests.
- Participate in a quiz.
- Check live availability and prices.
- Make a booking.
- Track the status of an application or a parcel delivery.
- Give direct feedback on the current email.
- Take part in a survey.
On the amp.dev site (https://amp.dev/about/email/) you can find examples, tutorials and specs for creating AMP emails:
- Register with Google to use AMP for Email: https://developers.google.com/gmail/ampemail/register
- Registration form: https://forms.gle/fV2hZmmoFApQA3sH8
- AMP Playground: https://amp.gmail.dev/playground/ or https://playground.amp.dev/
- AMP Validator: https://validator.ampproject.org/#htmlFormat=AMP4EMAIL
- Fundamentals: https://amp.dev/documentation/guides-and-tutorials/learn/email_fundamentals/
- Guides and Tutorials: https://amp.dev/documentation/guides-and-tutorials/
- Create your first AMP Email (a carousel of cats): https://amp.dev/documentation/guides-and-tutorials/start/create_email/?format=email
- Supported components: https://amp.dev/documentation/guides-and-tutorials/learn/email-spec/amp-email-components
- Supported HTML: https://amp.dev/documentation/guides-and-tutorials/learn/email-spec/amp-email-html/?format=email
- Supported CSS: https://amp.dev/documentation/guides-and-tutorials/learn/email-spec/amp-email-css/?format=email
- Gmail guidelines for bulk senders: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126?hl=en
- General blog post on the AMP Project’s mission: https://blog.amp.dev/2019/03/26/building-the-future-of-email-with-amp/
- The AMP Project on GitHub: https://github.com/ampproject/
- Known bugs and changes: https://github.com/ampproject/amphtml/labels/WG%3A%20amp4email
- AMP support in Outlook.com: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/amphtml/
- Email on Acid on AMP for Email: https://www.emailonacid.com/blog/article/industry-news/whats-the-latest-with-amp-and-how-can-i-use-it-for-email/
- Stripo on AMP for Email: https://stripo.email/blog/how-to-build-amp-emails-with-stripo/
- Stripo on how to get whitelisted: https://stripo.email/blog/how-to-get-whitelisted-with-google-to-send-amp-emails-our-personal-experience/
- Email Monks on AMP for Email: https://emailmonks.com/google-amp-for-email/
- Ignite Visibility on AMP for Email: https://ignitevisibility.com/amp-for-email/
- Litmus on AMP for Email: https://litmus.com/blog/gmail-rolls-out-support-for-amp-for-email
- Another post by Litmus: https://litmus.com/blog/delivering-episode-12-is-it-time-to-embrace-amp-for-email
- Email Design Review on AMP for Email: https://www.emaildesignreview.com/action-rocket/amp-for-email-what-how-and-when-4508/
- Return Path on AMP for Email: https://blog.returnpath.com/google-officially-launches-amp-for-email/
- Goibibo on AMP for Email: https://blog.amp.dev/2019/10/14/how-goibibo-got-started-with-amp-for-email-and-how-you-can-too/
- A Lifehacker blog post on AMP for Email: https://lifehacker.com/why-amp-is-going-to-be-a-big-deal-for-you-and-your-emai-1833643910
- Emerce interview with Google’s Filip Stanis (Dutch): https://www.emerce.nl/achtergrond/amp-gaat-emailmarketing-veranderen-je-inbox-meer-verlaten
- A Google blog describing some of their major cases: https://www.blog.google/products/gmail/take-action-and-stay-up-to-date-with-dynamic-email-in-gmail/
- Use AMP for onboarding emails: https://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/tech/onboarding-emails-amp-how-to-get-the-most-from-new-technologies/
- Examples and tutorial by Mailtrap: https://blog.mailtrap.io/amp-email/
- Oneil Interactive on AMP: https://oneilinteractive.com/blog/2019/10/amp-up-your-emails/